This cookie recipe was adapted from a recipe Jon found online many years ago. It's the most perfect chocolate chunk cookie you could ever find. They're a nice thick, chewy cookie. While I admit there's some merit in a thin, crispy/chewy chocolate chip, the overload of semi-sweet chocolate and creamy, salty peanut butter, make these absolutely the best cookies ever.
Jon tells me he used to bake these for his roommates, Heidi and Andrew, when they were in college. Apparently they were quite avid bakers, and would frequently have bake-offs to determine who could craft the best pies, pizzas and desserts! While I'm sure everyone won at the end of those contests, I've proven to be the ultimate victor because I now have access to Jon's treasure trove of amazing, kitchen-tested recipes.
Jon's favorite part about this recipe is that it uses melted butter. He tells me that ever since he was a kid he would wait impatiently for butter to get to room temperature, as most cookie recipes want soft butter. By using melted butter, the cookie making can start at a moment's whim, and fresh cookie dough can be ready for some sampling within 10 minutes!
He introduced me to these cookies shortly after we met, and I've never entertained the idea of trying a different recipe since! The addition of peanut butter brings together the most delectable flavor combination known to man: chocolate and peanut butter. We use all-natural, sweet peanut butter, but when given the chance, will grab some honey roasted peanut butter from Whole Foods and use that instead. It's really incomparable!
These stay moist and chewy for days, but usually don't last that long. The yield on these is pretty large. You'll get at least two dozen amazing cookies. Don't be tempted to cut the recipe in half though! The extra egg yolk is essential, and it never seems to come out right when I don't follow the recipe exactly. My best suggestion is to freeze any extra dough to cook later, if you don't think you'll be able to handle that many cookies at once.I hope you enjoy them as much as I do!
Recipe: Gooey Chocolate Chunk Peanut Butter Cookies
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup butter, melted
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1 T vanilla
- 1 egg
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 cups semi sweet chocolate chunks
- 1/2 cup real peanut butter
- Preheat oven to 325. Melt butter in a saucepan and set aside to cool.
- Add all dry ingredients except the chocolate chips in a mixer with the paddle attachment, mix for a minute to combine.
- Add all wet ingredients and mix for a minute to further combine.
- Add chocolate chips and mix for 10 seconds until incorporated.
- Grease a cookie sheet, or use parchment paper.
- Using an ice cream scoop or large spoon, scoop cookie mixture onto the cookie sheet so that they are an inch apart.
- Bake for 15 - 17 minutes. Allow to cool if you have the self control.
Preparation time: 10 minute(s)
Cooking time: 20 minute(s)
Number of servings (yield): 12