Every morning for breakfast I have egg and cheese on a homemade toasted english muffin. I have been doing this for years. Sometimes I add sausage, bacon or ham, and it gives me the boost I need to get my day started. But, there are certain days where all I want is something sweet and fluffy, smothered in butter, and that's why I created this amazing Banana Skillet Pancake.
I like to do as much of my cooking as possible in cast iron skillets. They hold heat, cook amazingly well, and I feel like I get better results than cooking in those cheap pans with non-stick surfaces that never seem to last, covered in toxic chemicals. I like to get my pan searing hot and then drop down my temperature as soon as I add my ingredients. Since they hold heat well, it usually gets quick jobs done fast without having to waste gas or electric.
The cool thing about cooking this pancake in a cast iron skillet is that the edges crawl up the side of the pan while it's baking in the oven. Everything expands and browns perfectly, and the banana gives it a wonderful texture that will melt in your mouth. This recipe is enough to serve up to 4 people depending on just how hungry you are. You can use any size skillet you like, but your cooking time will be different depending on what you use.
Just watch it cooking until it rises up the sides of the pans and a fork inserted into the center comes out clean. It will come out golden brown, simmering in melted butter. Then, of course, I like to cover mine in honey or real maple syrup. You can use powdered sugar and anything else that you like. Either way, you will not be disappointed with how quick and easy it is to make this delicious dish, and you will want to make it again over and over.
Recipe: Banana Skillet Pancake
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 cup milk
- 4 eggs
- 1 tsp. kosher salt
- 2 bananas, peeled - very ripe
- 1 tsp. good vanilla
- 1/2 tsp. nutmeg
- 1 tsp. (heaping) cinnamon
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 stick unsalted butter
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Prepare skillet on stove-top by warming on medium heat.
- Add all ingredients except for butter to blender, and puree until smooth. About 1 minute.
- Melt butter in skillet.
- When oven is preheated, add blended ingredients to skillet, and place skillet in oven.
- Cook for 30 - 50 minutes depending on size of skillet, until golden brown, and fork comes out of center clean.
- Serve immediately with sliced banana, powdered sugar, honey or real maple syrup.
Number of servings (yield): 4