Jon and I were fortunate enough to share 2 wonderful Thanksgiving celebrations with our families this past weekend. I never thought I would say this but it feels nice to get a break from the stove after cooking up a storm for 4 days!
The turkeys were amazing, and once we run out of leftovers I plan to cook our third one and post the recipe here just for my readers. I wanted to do something a little different with this string bean recipe. I wanted to keep the ingredients and flavors simple yet distinct. The result was better than I could have hoped, as the culmination of so many amazing flavors turned this dish into a huge hit for the holiday.
As usual, I cooked this in my very large cast iron skillet. I then broiled the string beans with some shredded Parmesan cheese to give them an extra bit of flavor. The sharp cheese was the perfect addition to this dish. One of the key ingredients was our homemade Chicken Stock.
The first batch of string beans we prepared we made using stock that we had in the refrigerator already. When we prepared the second meal, we used the remains of the leftover turkey to make a delicious stock (using the same stock recipe used for the chicken stock, but with turkey instead).
Turkey has such a great, distinctive flavor, and it really came through, adding even more depth to this meal. In the end, both will give you an absolutely delicious result. One of the best things about this recipe is that it's simple, and only takes about 20 minutes to prepare.
You can use any sauce pan to sauté the string beans in, so long as it's large enough to fit a 2 pound bag of frozen beans. Feel free to cut the recipe in half if this is too much, and you can give or take on any of the ingredient quantities to suit your taste. I hope you enjoy this as much as I do!
Recipe: Sautéed Lemon Garlic String Beans
- 1 two pound bag frozen string beans
- 1 lemon (zested, cut in half with juice from half lemon)
- 1 stick butter
- 1 head garlic (less if you prefer)
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1 cup Panko style Italian bread crumbs
- 1 cup shredded parmesan cheese
- salt and pepper to taste
- Heat pan on medium high until warm.
- Melt the butter in the pan on low heat. Slice, dice or mash garlic to preference and sauté in the melted butter until the butter starts to turn brown. Add the chicken stock, zest of a whole lemon and juice from half a lemon.
- Boil off the stock for a few minutes and add the string beans.
- Sauté until the beans are bright green and cooked, adding more stock as needed to keep the ingredients from drying out.
- Add the bread crumbs and stir thoroughly to combine. Cook over medium heat, stirring frequently to prevent the bread crumbs from sticking to the bottom of the pan until they are nice and brown.
- Remove the pan from the heat and set aside.
- Turn your broiler on high and adjust the oven wrack to the slot just below the highest one. Allow your oven to heat up.
- Place the shredded cheese on top of the string beans and broil for 5 - 10 minutes until the cheese is melted and brown. Remove from the oven and stir to combine the beans with the cheese.
Number of servings (yield): 6